When calling 9-1-1 in an emergency:
· Give the complete address where you need help.
· Tell the 9-1-1 operator what the problem is -- why you need help.
· Give the 9-1-1 operator your name.
· Remain calm and talk clearly.
· Give the 9-1-1 operator as much information as possible.
Please do not call 9-1-1- and:
· Say, "This is not an emergency, but..."
· Ask for the Truro Police Department's non-emergency number. It is (508) 487-8730
· Ask for another police department's non-emergency number. Call 411. If that police department is in another area code, dial that area code, then 555-1212.
· Hang up before speaking to the police/fire operator. If you do, they will call you back and a squad car may be sent to your home.
· Report that the power is out at your home, unless it is an emergency. Call your utility service provider.
· Ask for a weather report. Get a battery-powered radio and stay tuned to a local radio station.